I recently went on a honeymoon of epic proportions – San Fran, Las Vegas and Hawaii, and I wanted to share with you some outfits I wore on my trip.
Not one to get a tan, I’ve tried, failed, tried again, it just ain’t gonna happen, so I preferred doing a little more covering up in light, layers while I soaked up the sun and relaxed with my new husband.
So what were some of my go-to holiday pieces? Stripes, statement sunglasses, flats and comfy trousers. You can’t get a better combo than that…
But more specifically here are my must-have items to pack when off on your holidays.
1. A good quality t-shirt – preferably in a breathable fabric like cotton or linen. A grab and go piece, find a t-shirt fit you like and buy in multiple colours. Perfect for those you want a bit of coverage but need a light layer for heading out sightseeing or shopping.
2. A classic white or printed shirt in linen – go for slightly oversized and wear thrown over your bikini or tied-up around your waist with a chic pair of trousers for day to night vibes.
3. A straw bag – it will come in super handy for toting your book, magazines, suncream and water to the beach or carrying your essentials for sightseeing adventures.
4. Printed pair of trousers – preferably loose or wide-legged for added breeziness. If you’re like me and blessed with paler-than-pale skin then sometimes you don’t want to bare all in cut-off shorts and skirts, especially if its your first day of your holidays. A pair of striped wide-legs or full-on florals gives a stylish twist to your look while still keeping you cool and will work double duty from daytime to sundown.
5. A summer hat – fedora/tribly/floppy – whatever shape takes your fancy. Not only will it protect your face from the rays but it will go with everything and give your a basic look an Im-on-holidays vibe.
6. Statement Sunnies – sunglasses are a no-brainer especially for a sunny locale but because their small you can squeeze one or two into your suitcase, go for embellished or printed to add a little fun to your beach look.
7. Beach Cover-up -a vivid, printed chiffon cover-up like a kaftan or beach dress is perfect for throwing over your bikini if you’re nipping to the bar for a cocktail or having a quick lunch before you head back to your sun lounger and the sheer fabric will keep you cool in the heat.
8. A evening clutch – one that fits your lipgloss, room key, money and phone and you’re good to go. Simples.
9. A selection of swimwear – one-piece for those days you just want to cover-up, high-waisted bikini for those days you want to want to look chic by the pool and a string bikini for those days you want to get a tan.
10. A jumper – the boring part – it can actually get cold in a tropical locale – whether it’s the chilly air conditioning or the breezy wind when the sun goes down pack a cosy jumper for evening. You’ll thank me I promise.
11. Shoes – 1 pair of runners, 1 pair of heeled sandals and at least one or two flat sandals that are as comfy as kittens kissing your toes. You’re going to be wearing them practically all day, every day in the heat with swollen feet. So just make sure they fit you properly and want give you blisters from hell.
Do you have a go-to holiday style? Or a piece you can’t live without bringing on holidays?
1. Bag, Chloe 2. Sunglasses, Miu Miu 3. Trousers, Topshop 4. Dress, River Island, 5. Turban, Missoni, 6. Sweater, See by Chloe 7. Bag, Saint Laurent 8. Sandals, Birkenstock 9. Tote, Kate Spade 10. Bikni, Topshop 11. T-shirt, Next 12. Sunglasses, & Stories, 13. Sandals, River Island, 14. Shirt, Unliquo 15. Culottes, Whistles 16. Bag, Topshop 17. Bikini, Topshop 18. Swimsuit, Whistles 19. Hat, River Island 20. Trousers, Topshop