Not just for your holidays or a festival, the boho blouse or sometimes known as the peasant blouse, is an easy warm-weather essential. The cool girl way of wearing it? Teamed with your skinnies or leather for perfect weekend wear.
Forget what went on the plane with Ms.Moss last week, I’m more interest in what she was wearing on her holliers. Always ahead of the pack, it seems she’s reigniting fashion’s love affair with pyjama dressing. Plus it’s sticking around for autumn/winter with cozy-chic printed separates ruling the catwalks at Derek Lam, Rag & Bone and Michael Kors.
Certainly not a novel concept, pyjamas-out -of the-boudoir have been knocking around since 2012 and you’ve probably ignored it. Yes, I know, the notion of wearing your jimjams with anything but a cosy bathrobe does seem ludicrous but welcome to the weird and wonderful world of fashion.
The sure fire way of making this chic not chav? Go for printed or patterned silk trousers and button down tops. No two year old cotton pjs need apply. Accessorize right and apply plenty of swagger. Scroll down for some style inspo on how to wear the silky sets.
Head-to-toe pajama dressing can be really intimating, but cute separates can work really well. For instance a pajama-style top with jeans or a silk trouser with a t-shirt like me in the pic above. It’s a more subtle take on wearing your Jim-jams out of your house.
Culottes and jumpsuits separately can scare the bejesus out of the most seasoned fashion pro, put the two together and you’ve got double the fear.
Sound too hard to wear? It’s actually much more flattering than the traditional all-in-one just bear in mind proportions making sure it hits at the right part of the leg, mid-calf to be exact and finish off with a chunky shoe. Blocked heel mules and the culotte jumpsuit make a really pretty partner.
If it still seems scary match a pair of culottes in the same colour or print as a top for a fail-safe cheat way of working the trend.
Will you give it a whirl?
And celebs have been getting in on the action as well, most recently Victoria Beckham and RIhanna – who do you think wore it best?
When I jetted off on my holidays, see previous post here – they were the perfect warm weather staple
From left to right
No, this post isn’t about how to look stylish when holding an ice-cream, although who wouldn’t want to look like Eleonora Carsi when munching on the frozen stuff? Girl crush central.
Nor is it about slathering yourself in pastels resembling sweet sorbet shades, but that wouldn’t be a bad thing either.
Instead it’s all about the humble ice-cream print. Wahey! I love anything kitsch or cute – give me an item of clothing with a burger, watermelon or pineapple any day, stick a face on it and I’m sold. So I’ve super happy to see the toothache inducing print recreated in clothes form. See below for some sweet shopping inspo.
See, kitschy prints can still look grown-up and chic, pair them with neutral tones to really make it the cute print work for everyday.
And before you think it’s just a melt-in-the moment thing, check out Peter Jensen’s icecream-tastic resort 2016 collection. Want. It. All.
Get the look now…
1, Top, Asos 2. Shoes, Asos 3. Iphone case, Asos 4. Iphone Case, Asos 5. Iphone Case, New Look 6. Skirt, Au Jour Le Jour 7. Top, Topshop, 8. Earrings, Wolf & Badger 9. T-shirt, Au Jour Le Jour 10. Clutch, House of Holland 11. Jumper, Markus Lupfer 12. Bag, Sensi Studio 13. Earrings, Botica
Wrap, spit, slit, asymmetrical whatever you want to call it, just know you need this skirt you in your wardrobe. It’s been on the streets for a couple of seasons now so it’s surely becoming a staple at this stage. But before you dismiss it as a more cold weather piece, think again. It can totally work for summer- breezy, easy to wear and chic, it ticks all the style boxes for me.
Before you get intimated about how to wear – just think of it as updated pencil skirt, a modern take on the structured shape just with a little slit detail going on so style it how you would that style of skirt. Simple, right?
With a crew neck jumper and modest block heeled sandals – this wrap skirt is totally summer office appropriate.
The perfect warm weather outfit as below? Yes to this.
What does a bright cobalt blue wrap skirt need? More colour – this look totally screams summer style.
And when winter rolls around, ditch the light jumpers for a chunky cable knit. It’s the perfect balance to a streamlined spilt skirt.
This is one of my favourite Alexa’s streetstyle looks. A classic but cool monchrome jumper tones down the sexiness of PVC and zip detailing.
Again we see shirt plus wrap skirt – killer combo especially if it’s in a classic but cool monochrome.
Let the skirt do all the talking – a statement embellished skirt looks super sweet with a classic button-down.
LOVE how it’s styled below – it doesn’t have to be all sexy side spilt, legs-in-your-face. Styled with a basic black jumper and trainers give it the instant cool factor.
Shop the Look
I recently went on a honeymoon of epic proportions – San Fran, Las Vegas and Hawaii, and I wanted to share with you some outfits I wore on my trip.
Not one to get a tan, I’ve tried, failed, tried again, it just ain’t gonna happen, so I preferred doing a little more covering up in light, layers while I soaked up the sun and relaxed with my new husband.
So what were some of my go-to holiday pieces? Stripes, statement sunglasses, flats and comfy trousers. You can’t get a better combo than that…
But more specifically here are my must-have items to pack when off on your holidays.
1. A good quality t-shirt – preferably in a breathable fabric like cotton or linen. A grab and go piece, find a t-shirt fit you like and buy in multiple colours. Perfect for those you want a bit of coverage but need a light layer for heading out sightseeing or shopping.
2. A classic white or printed shirt in linen – go for slightly oversized and wear thrown over your bikini or tied-up around your waist with a chic pair of trousers for day to night vibes.
3. A straw bag – it will come in super handy for toting your book, magazines, suncream and water to the beach or carrying your essentials for sightseeing adventures.
4. Printed pair of trousers – preferably loose or wide-legged for added breeziness. If you’re like me and blessed with paler-than-pale skin then sometimes you don’t want to bare all in cut-off shorts and skirts, especially if its your first day of your holidays. A pair of striped wide-legs or full-on florals gives a stylish twist to your look while still keeping you cool and will work double duty from daytime to sundown.
5. A summer hat – fedora/tribly/floppy – whatever shape takes your fancy. Not only will it protect your face from the rays but it will go with everything and give your a basic look an Im-on-holidays vibe.
6. Statement Sunnies – sunglasses are a no-brainer especially for a sunny locale but because their small you can squeeze one or two into your suitcase, go for embellished or printed to add a little fun to your beach look.
7. Beach Cover-up -a vivid, printed chiffon cover-up like a kaftan or beach dress is perfect for throwing over your bikini if you’re nipping to the bar for a cocktail or having a quick lunch before you head back to your sun lounger and the sheer fabric will keep you cool in the heat.
8. A evening clutch – one that fits your lipgloss, room key, money and phone and you’re good to go. Simples.
9. A selection of swimwear – one-piece for those days you just want to cover-up, high-waisted bikini for those days you want to want to look chic by the pool and a string bikini for those days you want to get a tan.
10. A jumper – the boring part – it can actually get cold in a tropical locale – whether it’s the chilly air conditioning or the breezy wind when the sun goes down pack a cosy jumper for evening. You’ll thank me I promise.
11. Shoes – 1 pair of runners, 1 pair of heeled sandals and at least one or two flat sandals that are as comfy as kittens kissing your toes. You’re going to be wearing them practically all day, every day in the heat with swollen feet. So just make sure they fit you properly and want give you blisters from hell.
Do you have a go-to holiday style? Or a piece you can’t live without bringing on holidays?
1. Bag, Chloe 2. Sunglasses, Miu Miu 3. Trousers, Topshop 4. Dress, River Island, 5. Turban, Missoni, 6. Sweater, See by Chloe 7. Bag, Saint Laurent 8. Sandals, Birkenstock 9. Tote, Kate Spade 10. Bikni, Topshop 11. T-shirt, Next 12. Sunglasses, & Stories, 13. Sandals, River Island, 14. Shirt, Unliquo 15. Culottes, Whistles 16. Bag, Topshop 17. Bikini, Topshop 18. Swimsuit, Whistles 19. Hat, River Island 20. Trousers, Topshop
Crochet is one of those trends, like florals for spring, that seems to pop up every year – a warm weather regular. With the hint of summer on the horizon and the start of festival season, it might just be time to invest in some cool crochet.
Now typically the white variety has been popular. I’d love to be of the long-limbed, bronze-skinned specimens, who can throw on the LWCD, that’s little white crochet dress, don’t you know. But, fear not, because this season I’m totally digging the psychedelic, brighter-than-bright, put-a-smile-on-your-dial vibes that coloured crochet gives. Bonus – it won’t end up making you look like a giant white doily. Win.
Get the look
We all know that our phones aren’t just smart little gadgets they’ve become an extension of ourselves and a showcase of our personality. It’s no wonder statement iPhone cases have fast become must-haves for people who want to accessorise everything in their wardrobe, including their gadgets, and at fashion week for the past few years the IT accessory isn’t always the hottest bag or shoe but the novelty phone case. Jeremy Scott kicked it up a notch with this wish-list wanting cases from Moschino and boom, a trend is born for kooky phone covers. As any smart streetstyler knows it’s not all about aesthetics, investing in a cool, chic cover also offers your phone protection. Fashionable and function is always a winning combo.
After recently upgrading to an iPhone 6, I struggled finding a cover so I trawled the shops to bring you an edit of the best cases you need to get right now.
From Left to Right,